Sunday, March 6, 2011

Chicken Tarragon Pie with butter-free pastry crust

I have never made pastry or pies in my life. But I gave it a go yesterday.


The recipe I found for the pie crust seemed OK, it was 2,3/4 cups of flour, 1/2cup milk, 1/2 cup of oil, spoon of salt. I am pretty sure that is considerably healthier then store bought frozen pastry which is half butter/shortening.


The last couple of times I have bought celery I have chopped off the bottom and the leafy tops and kept them for cooking. They last only a couple of days so I wanted to put them to use in this pie. These celery throw away bits had gone into my sweet potato and chickpea curry last week quite successfully. It uses more of the celery so saves money and the nutrition and flavour in the celery leaves is good.


 The filling was whatever veges I could rustle up, chicken, tarragon, water, cornflour, stock.


 Cooking up the filling


I lined a 6 muffin tray with some pastry and the filling and this is how they turned out. Ugly but yummy.


 The rest of the filling went into ramekins with a bit of pastry and sesame seeds on top. Again ugly but yummy.


It was a miserable day outside so I spent it on the couch with my cat reading for uni and watching TV.I ate chicken pie for late breakfast, lunch and dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment